Brodie Castle is a grand 16th-century castle that was the home of the Brodie clan for over 400 years. It was gifted to the National Trust for Scotland who now care for it.
It has an impressive art collection, decorative ceilings and well-preserved furniture.
Originally built in 1567 as a Z-plan castle, it was destroyed by fire in 1645. Nearly 200 years later, in 1824, plans were drawn up to convert it into a Scots baronial style mansion house, but this work wasn’t completed until taken over in 1845.
It is believed King Malcolm IV gave the land to the Brodie clan in 1160.
The castle was gifted to the National Trust for Scotland by Ninian Brodie who lived in it till he died in 2003. His former living quarters are now hired out as a holiday apartment, known as the Laird’s Wing.
The castle’s 16th-century keep is very well-preserved. There are two five-storey towers on opposing corners.
An ancient Pictish monument known as Rodney’s Stone can be found in the grounds.
Brodie is also home to the national daffodil collection, and has an award-winning visitor centre and play garden, making it a day out for the whole family