The Mercat Cross in Forres is, as many will have assumed, modelled on the much grander Scott Monument in Princes Street, Edinburgh.
The Category B listed structure was built in 1844 by Thomas Mackenzie and although now sits on a paved area in front of the Tolbooth, it once stood in the street. Recent extensions of the paving has created a market square between the Mercat Cross and Tolbooth.
An old cross was present before this one was built and the base of the old cross was left in position, and the new one built over it.
Weather and time have taken their toll on the monument and nearly all of the finials having fallen off by 2018. However, some of these intricate pieces were replaced in 2021.