Forres has an enviable display of floral sculptures and displays.
Over the years, the volunteers that make this happen have won countless awards and accolades, but most of all, they make the town look beautiful.
People come from miles around to see the displays in Grant Park. But there work doesn’t end there, there are displays up and down the high street, on street corners, at junctions, and around the war memorial.
The volunteers won the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service recently, and even through the coronavirus pandemic in 2020/21, the volunteers could be seen tending the flowerbeds throughout the town.
Since their initial involvement in the Beautiful Scotland in Bloom’ competition in 1977 the enthusiasm has gained many awards and led on to the prestigious ‘Britain in Bloom’ Medium Town Trophy in 2004.
Although many see the public ornamental gardens as the face of Forres it should be remembered that these awards are a reflection of the whole town with very significant contributions from the local Primary and Secondary Schools and private residents alike.
It is a reflection of the town’s desire to project its best image that so many local organisations contribute by sponsoring the colourful displays that form part of the ornamental sculptures in the parks and open spaces.
The Forres in Bloom Association have ensured that Forres has been very successful in Floral Competitions over the last twenty years and have achieved the following awards.
Beautiful Scotland in Bloom Awards
- The Rosebowl – Overall Winner 1983, 1985, 1987
- Bruce Trophy – Small Town Winner 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996.
- Medium Town Trophy Winner – 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.
- Jim Murdie Trophy for Sustainability
- Linton Trophy – 1981, 1990
- More recent awards have yet to be added
RHS Britain in Bloom
- UK Winners – 1982, 1986, 1989, 1999, 2008
- RHS Britain in Bloom Silver Gilt Award – 2005, town category
- RHS Britain in Bloom Silver Gilt Award – 2006, 2007,
- UK Keep Britain Tidy Trophy – 1979
- UK Landscape Trophy – 1984
- RHS Britain in Bloom Young People’s Award – Applegrove Primary School