All-year-round resort filled with fun activities
Aviemore is well-known as a winter playground during the winter months, being the nearest town to the ski slopes at Cairngorm Mountain.
The ski resort here offers a wide range of snowsports, with lifts and tows. There are two others in the Cairngorms National Park, The Lecht and Glenshee.
During the spring and summer months, it is a magnet for outdoor types and there is a multitude of activities available around the area, some you can enjoy without charge, such as walking and cycling, or you pay to play on quad bikes, clay pigeon shooting, kayaking, windsurfing, you name it!
There is so much to see and do in the area, endless walks, beautiful forests and peaceful lochs, as well as centres for guided activities on land and water, catering for all ages and abilities.
Aviemore is easily accessible from Forres by going over the Dava Moor and through Grantown or Carrbridge (there are two alternatives routes) .
There are a number of local independent shops, including several selling outdoor clothing and accessories, and as you’d expect for a busy resort like this, there’s also plenty of places to eat (and drink).
If you’re a rail buff, the Strathspey Steam Railway that plies part of the old route between Aviemore and Broomhill via Boat of Garten is a must. It’s been lovingly restored to bring back the nostalgia of steam trains.
Before it was closed in the 60s, this track went through Grantown-on-Spey, over the Dava Moor and into Forres.
In fact, you don’t need to be a train enthusiast to enjoy this though. Who doesn’t love to step back in time. Pre-booked dining is an option, and tickets are available online or at any of the stations.
More details at Strathspey Steam Railway.
- Rothiemurchus Estate
- Cairngorm reindeer
- The Green Lochan
- Loch Morlich and the Glenmore forest
- Loch an Eilein
- Strathspey Steam Railway
- Craigellachie Natural Nature Reserve
- Aviemore Macdonald resort (luxury shopping and food hall, event venue)
- Highland Wildlife Park (9 miles)
- Cairngorm Mountain (11 miles)
- Highland Folk Museum – open air museum (15 miles)
Further informationW: https://www.visitaviemore.com/
Travel itinerary plannerAviemore is in the following sections:
- Distance from Forres: 36 miles
- Postcode: PH22
- What’s nearby: Carrbridge, Grantown-on-Spey, Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus Estate, cairngorm mountain ski resort, craigellachie-nature-reserve
- Tags: Waymarked walks, outdoor activities, shopping, winter sports (all areas)