An oasis of calm near busy resort of Aviemore
Despite its name, this nature reserve is in Aviemore. The Craigellachie village of whisky fame is nearly 40 miles away.
When you visit Aviemore, you might think the A9 cuts off everything to the east of the dual carriageway, but this lovely quiet park is accessed UNDER the A9 and makes it an oasis of calm in a busy resort.
There is ample parking in the Aviemore resort ring road, and the walks are signposted from here, where the pathway takes you on a 10-minute walk before reaching the park. The path goes underneath the A9 and you can choose from four trails:
- The Lochan (0.7km) gentle walk around the loch
- The Woodland Trail (1km) – more strenuouse with steep climbs
- The Buzzard Trail (1.7km)
- The Viewpoint Trail (4.4km) – a steep
The latter trail is a steep hike to the summit of the park, at around 500m. It’s rocky and uneven, but gives rewarding views over Aviemore towards the Cairngorms.
The trail takes you past lochs, towering crags, mature birchwood and tree-fringed lochs, and promises woodland flowers in spring, dragonflies in summer and brilliant leaf colour in autumn.
How to get to Craigellachie Nature Reserve
Drive through Aviemore and turn into the Macdonald Aviemore Resort. Follow the one-way system until you see a large grassy area on the left with a playpark and car park.
Park here and walk past the playpark, turn left onto a path which goes parallel to the A9 go past the pond, and you’ll come across a tunnel under the dual carriageway where the information board explains the different routes. There are a few steps here.
Further informationWe currently have no external resources about this attraction. T: 01463 725219
Travel itinerary plannerCraigellachie Nature Reserve is in the following sections:
- Distance from Forres: 34 miles
- Postcode: PH22 1PN
- What3words: concerned.grabs.takes
- What’s nearby: Aviemore, Carrbridge, Grantown-on-Spey, Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus Estate, cairngorm mountain ski resort
- Tags: Waymarked walks, nature, views, wildlife (all areas)