Dallas Dhu no longer makes whisky, but it is open to the public for visits and tours as a museum of whisky production.
This ‘Dallasmore’ distillery was built in 1898 by Alexander Edward of the Sanquhar estate outside Forres with a characteristic pagoda-style roof designed by Scottish architect Charles C Doig.
The operation at Dallas Dhu was largely powered by steam engines and a large water wheel, up to the 1950s when it converted to electricity.
Economic pressure and an unreliable water supply forced Dallas Dhu to close in 1983, although the buildings were re-opened to the public in 1988 under Scotland’s Historic Buildings and Monument Directorate.
Historic Environment Scotland previously has operated the Category A listed building as a visitor centre and museum since 1992.
Dallas Dhu is on Scotland’s Malt Whisky Trail, which also includes Benromach Distillery.
- 1909: Whisky taxes increased by David Lloyd George
- 1919: Distillery sold to J P O’Brien & Co
- 1921: Distillery sold to Benmore Distillers
- 1928: Benmore acquired by Distillers Company (DCL); distillery closed
- 1936: Distillery reopened by DCL subsidiary Scottish Malt Distillers
- 1939: Fire damages building and machinery (9 April) estimated at £7000; distillery closed
- 1947: Distillery re-opens after World War 2
- 1956: Worm tubs replaced
- 1964: New washbacks, boiler and mash tun installed
- 1966: Elevator installed in malt barn
- 1969: Stills replaced
- 1971: Converted from coal heat to oil-fired steam heat
- 1983: Last barrel filled (16 March) before being closed
- 1988: Re-opened to the public
- 1992: Historic Scotland takes over
- 1993: Distilling licence withdrawn