At Kinloss are the remains of a Cistercian Abbey, founded in 1150 by King David.
The abbey came under the protection of the Bishop of Moray and was selected to host the General Chapter of the Prelates of the Cistercian Order.
The Abbey acquired many endowments from the King and his successors and became one of the largest and wealthiest Cistercian houses in Scotland. In the 13th century the abbey underwent a major rebuilding following a fire, and it was extended and modified many times over the 400 years of its life.
These days the area is very different with the abbey grounds forming part of the local cemetery which now houses many Commonwealth War Graves.
Next door to the abbey, and closed off to the public is the Abbot’s House. Built for a powerful man, Robert Reid, who was a bishop at Kinloss, but also a lawyer and a diplomat.
Like the abbey, it has long fallen into disrepair, and it is closed off to the public. However, tours have been made available recently, and work is being done to make it safe to visit.